Valentine’s Day might look a little different this year, but no matter how you’re spending the day, it’s nice to have a sweet treat for dessert! These apple pie egg rolls are easy and fast to make, and they taste delicious and look so cute, too.
You might not think to fill egg roll wrappers with something sweet, but their neutral flavor works well with sweet fillings as well as savory ones. Oh, and you don’t have to deep fry your egg rolls! An air fryer works great to get a bubbly and crisped texture, just like they came out of a pot of oil but with so much less clean-up, and less calories too.
I’m actually working on a whole book of air fryer recipes to share with you next fall, but I couldn’t resist coming up with one for this recipe contest, too. JSL foods are the makers of my favorite Twin Dragon Egg Roll Wrappers, and when they asked me to submit an entry I was all over it. I wasn’t paid to come up with this recipe, but I did receive egg roll wrappers to make it.
Before JSL foods had even reached out, I would go out of my way to buy their egg roll and wonton wrappers when I could find them — they crisp up in the air fryer better than any other brands I’ve tried. You can purchase their Twin Dragon wrappers at Walmart, Albertsons, Shaw’s, Von’s, Stater Bros, Fred Meyer, QFC, Safeway, Associated Stores, Giant Stores, Stop ‘n Shop, Winco, and Price Chopper.
Serve these on their own, or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream alongside. Either way, the sweetly spiced apples will warm you right up. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 large granny smith apples peeled, cored, and diced
- 1/4 cup golden brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pie spice or cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons water
- 6 Twin Dragon egg roll wrappers
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
Make the pie filling:
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the apples, brown sugar, and pie spice, and saute for about 7 minutes, until the apples are softened and cooked through.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch, lemon juice, and water. Add the mixture to the skillet and cook for one more minute, stirring constantly, until thickened and glossy. Remove the skillet from the heat, transfer the filling to a bowl, and let it cool until it is no longer piping hot, about 15 minutes. (If you like, you can put the bowl of filling into an ice bath to cool the apples much faster, in about 5 minutes.)
Make the egg rolls:
- Lay out the egg roll wrappers on a work surface. In a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch and water.
- Portion out a quarter cup of the filling onto the bottom third of each wrapper. Use a pastry brush to brush the cornstarch mixture onto the top corner of each wrapper. Roll up the egg rolls, then place them seam side down in the air fryer basket. Brush or spray the egg rolls on all sides with avocado oil.
- Air fry the egg rolls at 400ºF for 7 minutes, flipping them half way through cooking. (For best results, preheat the air fryer before cooking.)
- When the egg rolls are done, transfer them to a serving platter. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve warm.