It’s hot around here, and for weeks now, I haven’t been able to get the idea of a refreshing, icy Orange Julius out of my head. It was one of my favorite childhood treats — on a hot afternoon in the suburbs, nothing was better than a homemade, frosty and frothy glass of Julius. Years later as a teenager, I tried to make them by myself, but they were never the same as when my babysitter used to blend them up them for my brother and me.
Rather than try yet again to capture childhood in a glass, I chose to reinvent the classic with a vegan variation. Over at The Kitchn, I made a version with strawberries, and here, I’ve used fresh pineapple for a tropical twist! Flax seeds replace the usual egg whites to help create a thick consistency, and whole vanilla bean paste and orange extract add lots of flavor — you don’t even need to add any sweetener.
Vegan Pineapple Orange Julius
- 8 ice cubes crushed (about 1 1/3 cups)
- 1 cup frozen pineapple tidbits
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon whole vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup almond milk original flavor
- Combine ingredients in a blender in the order listed.
- Blend on high speed until smooth, about one minute, stirring once during blending if necessary.
I like your new blog. Good luck
The Healthy Groove
You have an amazing blog! I love reading your content & checking out your recipes….this one in particular sounds spectacular. Thanks for sharing, and look forward to reading more!
Thanks so much!