This salad has only four ingredients, and it comes together in about ten minutes, or as fast as you can thinly slice a pound of cucumbers! It’s the perfect first course for a sushi dinner, or as a vegetable side with miso-marinated fish and steamed rice.
I’ve given classic sunomono a little twist by adding one of my favorite ingredients, hot sesame oil. This roasted sesame oil spiked with hot chili oil is meant to be used sparingly — just a few drops adds wonderful sesame aroma and a hint of heat.
- 1 pound Persian cucumbers sliced into thin rounds
- 3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon hot sesame oil
- Combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Let sit for at least 15 minutes before serving, allowing cucumbers to lightly pickle in the vinegar dressing.