Instead of my go-to steamed potatoes, carrots, and cabbage, I decided to make a low-carb colcannon to serve with our corned beef this year. It turned out great, so I’m excited to share it with you all here. And of course, since I made it in the Instant Pot, it was super easy, mostly hands-off, and only took about 20 minutes to cook.
Colcannon is a traditional Irish side dish of mashed potatoes and cabbage or kale. It’s often topped with a generous pat of butter, too — feel free to add that if you want to gild the lily. You can also just sub in a tablespoon of butter or oil for the [not-so-traditional] bacon to make this recipe vegetarian or vegan. Add leeks or onions, too, if you like.
Instant Pot Cauliflower Colcannon
- 2 slices bacon cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 1 6-ounce bunch lacinato kale, stemmed and chopped
- ½ teaspoon flaky sea salt
- 1 large 2-pound head cauliflower, cored and cut into 2-inch florets
- ½ cup low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 green onions sliced thinly
- Select the Sauté setting and add the bacon to the Instant Pot. Sauté for 5 minutes, until the bacon is sizzling and rendering some fat. Add the kale and salt. Sauté for about 2 minutes, until the kale has wilted down quite a bit.
- Pour in the chicken broth, using a wooden spoon or spatula to nudge up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Add the cauliflower on top of the kale, arranging it in an even layer.
- Secure the lid in the Sealing position. Cancel the cooking program, then select the Pressure Cook or Manual setting and set the cooking time for 2 minutes at low pressure. (It will take about 10 minutes to come up to pressure before the cooking program begins.)
- When the cooking program ends, perform quick pressure release by moving the Pressure Release to Venting to release the steam.
- Open the pot. Wearing heat-proof mitts, lift the inner pot out of the Instant Pot. Add the green onions. Using a potato masher, mash the cauliflower and mix everything together. Taste for seasoning, adding salt if needed.
- Transfer to a serving dish and serve warm.