Massaged Kale Salad with Mango, Avocado, and Hazelnuts
This melange of hearty kale and deluxe mix-ins of mango, avocado, and hazelnuts makes for an unusually rich and delicious way to enjoy your greens. Rest assured, nobody will accuse you of serving them rabbit food.
Servings: 4 cups
- 1 bunch Scotch or Lacinato Kale
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar divided
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 large mango peeled and diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large avocado diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup roasted hazelnuts roughly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Rinse and dry the kale leaves. Trim out the inner stems and discard. Slice the kale leaves into quarter inch-thick ribbons and place in a large mixing bowl.
Add one tablespoon of the olive oil to the bowl with the kale, along with half of the apple cider vinegar and the salt. Using your hands, squeeze and massage the kale for three minutes, until it has wilted considerably.
Stir in the remaining olive oil, vinegar, honey, and black pepper.
Gently fold in the diced mango, avocado, chopped hazelnuts, and pepper.