Turkey Sandwiches, California Style
Turkey sandwiches layered with lots of fresh vegetables. Makes a great weeknight dinner or packed lunch.
- 8 slices whole wheat sandwich bread
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- honey mustard
- thousand island dressing
- 8 ounces turkey cold cuts
- 4 large button mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 1 medium avocado thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato thinly sliced
- 2 cups sprouts or microgreens
- 1/4 cup roasted unsalted sunflower seeds
- ground black pepper optional
Sprinkle an even layer of mozzarella cheese onto half of the slices of bread. Toast all of the bread lightly, just until cheese is melty but the bread is still soft in the middle.
Spread honey mustard on the cheesy slices of bread, and spread thousand island dressing on the naked slices of bread. Layer on the sandwich ingredients in the order you prefer — I like to put the turkey on one slice of bread, and stack all of the vegetables on the other slice, sprinkling sunflower seeds over the top of the vegetables. Top with a grind or two of black pepper if desired.
Assemble the sandwiches, slice in half on the diagonal, and serve.