Steak Salad with Orange and Avocado
This salad is substantial, yet full of bright citrus flavor.
For the vinaigrette:
- juice from 2 meyer lemons
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the salad:
- 1 head romaine lettuce sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch ribbons
- 1 navel orange peeled, quartered, and sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium avocado sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 8 ounces cooked ribeye steak sliced thinly
Combine all of the vinaigrette ingredients in a wide-mouthed, pint-sized mason jar or other similarly sized container. Use an immersion blender to emulsify the dressing until it turns creamy and lightened in color, and all of the olive oil is incorporated.
In a large salad bowl, toss the lettuce, oranges and avocado with most of the vinaigrette, reserving a couple tablespoons. Plate the salad, layer the slices of steak over the top, and drizzle the steak with the remaining vinaigrette. Grind some black pepper on top and serve.