Smoothie trends come and go, and I think it’s time somebody said it: the green goop concoctions have had their day. It’s no longer revolutionary to pack your blender with spinach and kale, and for some (my mother included), there’s no getting used to the distinctly planty aftertaste.
It’s high time we came up with another way to play with our morning blend. And so, I declare spices the hot new smoothie ingredients of 2014. They’re the stars of today’s recipe, adding great taste as well as vitamins and minerals. Ginger aids digestion and calms nausea, and turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory containing manganese, iron, and vitamin B6.Manuka honey lends just enough sweetness to offset the tangy yogurt and cranberry juice. Its menthol-tinged aroma plays well with the warming spices.
- 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1 cup whole milk plain yogurt
- ½ cup unsweetened 100% cranberry juice
- 1 tablespoon Manuka honey
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- Combine all ingredients in blender in order listed.
- Blend until smooth, using a spatula to scrape down the sides of the blender if necessary.